Members and visitors
The SGU takes the privacy of its members seriously. We are the controller of the personal information that you give to us and this privacy notice tells you how, why and for how long we will keep and use your personal data. It also explains the rights you have and how to exercise them.
As a member of the club, we may gather and retain personal details about you, including:
- contact details (for example name, address, email and phone number);
- date of birth and medical certificate details (e.g. driving licence) to ensure pilot safety;
- payment details (bank details for direct debit or card details for one-off purchases);
- affiliation with other clubs and flying experience and qualifications;
- correspondence with you;
- emergency contact details.
Processing your data
We use this information, as part of your membership contract, to
- keep in touch with you;
- administer your financial account with us and bill you for services;
- make available to all members flight logs of aircraft and individuals;
- enable your access to the club’s facilities;
- organise flying activity, including volunteer rotas;
- operate the club, for example to conduct general meetings.
You may ask us to stop processing your data for these purposes by cancelling your membership.
We also have a legitimate interest in using your personal data to:
- promote gliding to the wider community and use your name when reporting on sporting achievements;
- enable communication between club members through mailing lists. You may ask us to stop processing your data for these purposes.
We have legal obligations to use your personal data to:
- check that our coaches and volunteers are able to undertake regulated work with children and vulnerable adults under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007;
- make reasonable adjustments where necessary under the Equality Act 2010;
- retain flight logs under the Air Navigation Order 2016.
- We will use this information to protect your vital interests in some cases, for example to enable search and rescue activities;
- We use your data to provide statistical anonymised reports to the British Gliding Association;
- In order to process payments, we will share your payment details with third parties whom we are confident will handle your details in a secure manner.
You have the right to:
- request a copy of your data, free of charge within one month, in human-readable and computer-readable formats (you can access these directly in GLAMIS at https://sgcaccounts.co.uk/);
- ask us to correct the data we hold about you, if it is wrong or incomplete (you can make your own changes to some data in GLAMIS);
- request us to delete some of your personal data, if we no longer have a reason to process it;
- request that we stop processing your data, if we are processing it for a legitimate interest;
- request that we restrict the processing of your data but not erase it if you dispute our processing.
In all cases we will only store your personal data for as long as we need it or the law requires us to keep it, therefore:
- data being held in order to fulfil your membership contract will be held for the period of the membership plus a reasonable period, up to six years for financial data;
- flying logs are kept for as long as the aircraft are in service with the club.
We take care to ensure that your data are securely held and transferred. This includes using encryption and restricting who has access to your data to those who have a legitimate need to process it, mostly office staff, directors and instructors.
You can contact us:
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phone: 01592 840543
- in person: in the office or by contacting a director
- by post:
The Scottish Gliding Centre
- via our website